Sunday, December 5, 2010

Life is Short

Lately I've been needing this reminder. Life is short. I've been stressed out about my living situation; my lease isn't up for another 6 months and my roommate is hostile, passive aggressive and OCD. I've been so worried about the situation and it's been eating at me.

But life is short. In the next couple weeks I'll be out of the house and I can leave everything behind and I'll never (hopefully) have to see her again. As I was talking to a friend about the situation tonight I came to a realization. No one can ruin your day but you. Last night I went to the bars thinking, "she's making my life a living hell." Honestly though, my day is only ruined if I allow it to be.

Tonight at work I finally felt like myself again, goofy, silly, and just having fun. I was able to just let go. Let go and enjoy the moment I was in. *sigh* Why is it sometimes so hard to do something so simple? Why do we have to remind ourselves to enjoy life?

My mum died when she was 36. That's 12 years older than I currently am. What if I were to die when I turn 36? Will I be able to say I enjoyed life to the fullest or will I say, man, I should have spent less time worrying? After all, worries are just problems that haven't happened yet. And if it hasn't happened yet, it may not happen at all.

Yeah, things aren't ideal right now, they may never be. But at least I'm alive. I'm learning, growing, waking up and most importantly, I'm giving and receiving love. That's what life's all about. Love. So as much as I think my roommate is crazy, I try really hard to look through the eyes of love and see that she's hurting inside. She's not happy and she's simply projecting her anger onto me.

We simply have to remember that everyone is doing they best that they can, if they could do better, they would. Life is short. Don't worry, be happy. And as my favorite movie says, "the greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return."

No comments:

Post a Comment