Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Are We Living the Life?

Martin Sexton - Living the Life

I love this song so much. Listen to it. Pay attention to the lyrics.

What stops us from living the life we want? Bills? Children? Bad relationships? Us. It's us. We do it to ourselves. We make our choices. The rest are just excuses. We all make excuses (though some people are worse offenders than others). I try not to make excuses. I hate excuses.

A friend of mine recently quit her job at a bank. She hated it. She couldn't stand the thought of working there one more day so she went in and quit. She took a risk. She quit her job without having another one lined up. It takes guts to do that. I did it once. It's scary because you're not sure how long it'll take to find something else but it's freeing at the same time. I'm so proud of her though. She's taking her happiness into her own hands, focusing on what she loves and what she wants.

So what's my excuse now? Am I living the life I want and if not what's stopping me? Like I said, we make our choices. Sometimes we need to choose change, to stop simply accepting the comfort of familiarity. I want a job with more regular hours. Making more money. Having the evenings free to make music, hang with friends, read books, go to mediation, yoga class, art class, whatever.

I need to choose change. I'm just not sure exactly where it's going to take me.

No comments:

Post a Comment